Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Singlet

And my journey begins...

Last year I started working with our Watchung Hills Regional High School wrestling team.  I had the opportunity to speak with the parents about the work I am doing with the USA team.  We evaluated just about the entire team and started delivering care to the athletes.  One up-and-coming sophomore, Max Meyers, recently traveled to Fargo, ND for a national tournament.  Wrestlers swap singlets at these tournaments and NJ is highly sought after, both due to the design of the singlet and also because NJ is known to produce great wrestlers.  Case in point -  Jordan Burroughs, USA favorite for gold at 74 kg.

Max traded a NJ singlet for a Florida singlet, no big deal right?  Well, it turns out that the Florida singlet has pictures of three Olympian freestyle wrestlers:  Two from USA, Sam Hazewinkel (55 kg), Jared Frayer (66 kg), and Franklin Gomez from Puerto Rico (60 kg).  FYI-to figure out pounds multiply kg by 2.2.

Sam Hazewinkel actually signed the singlet in Florida and I told Max I would have Jared Frayer sign it for him in London.  So the singlet has made the trip with me and I will keep you posted!

• USA Freestyle Wrestlers and weight classes
55kg: Sam Hazewinkel
60kg: Coleman Scott
66kg: Jared Frayer
74kg: Jordan Burroughs
84kg: Jake Herbert
96kg: Jake Varner
120kg: Tervel Dlagnev


Jared story http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/04/22/wrestling.team.trials/index.html#ixzz22ljSVxk4

No comments:

Post a Comment